Tuesday 22 July 2008

The mystery of the growing railway sleepers...

Ten years ago I buried some rubbish soil behind the sleeper steps towards the back of the garden. I remember flippantly saying "in ten years I will have to deal with that". Actually it was eight years. Ah well. I am certainly paying the penalty. It is brutal hard work, and I am missing the pint of blood I donated yesterday!

I have had to dig out beneath and behind each step and then mix cement to pour in. I am rubbish at cement mixing, and am also probably digging out too much so it is taking a long long time. I am not helped by the roots stretching across that make spadework very difficult, or the large stones I hid there so long ago.

You can see the progress I have made in the photos. It has been very very slow work, and as you can see from the last one, pretty exhausting.

3 down, four to go. This one had grown overnight. When I came to put it back the hole was 10cm too small!

And now for a smoothie!

No comments: